Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Paul is Dead

Well, not really... not yet. But this is a bit of folklore that has interested me for many years -- all the supposed "clues" and the suggestion of conspiracy. I put this little documentary together a few years ago for my F101: Intro to Folklore classes when I taught at Indiana University. The narrator is a guy named Dave Foxx who was a DJ in Washington DC around 1980. I got a hold of his audio and put the pictures to it. About four years ago I was able to track hm down and show this to him. We actually had some discussions about doing something more with this, but nothing ever came of it. It's a little cheesy, but I like it.

On a side not, one of Tracey's friends here in Tokyo works for the London-based lawfirm that is representing McCartney in his divorce case. Maybe I'll see if I can work that connection and get him to watch this and comment -- but only if I can be sure I won't get sued for anything.



Go to http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5F-t8BuGmZ0

5 comments:

Melissa said...

Is Paul dead or the video clip? I couldn't get it to work. There is just a blank screen and when I press play- nothing. Will you re-post it?

Glenn Ostlund said...

Neither (but aren't you clever). Try again -- it should work. if not, try clicking here:

http://www.mormonfolklore.org/PID_0004.wmv


or here:

http://www.mormonfolklore.org/blog/paul-is-dead/

Anonymous said...

"RHZ", U can take your Lost theory to the bank, but I'm afraid this one doesn't pan out. I know this may be cycnical... but, I always say, "follow the money". And Paul has a lot of it. Not to mention, after the break-up, what would stop John (very outspoken, counter-everything conventional, idealist, etc.) from spilling the beans? Nice job on your end with the video though. Still working on the screenplay? I'd like to hear your interpretation of this- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1TZCP6OqRlE&feature=related
Could you post your thoughts? Hope all is well...

Glenn Ostlund said...

Thank you for banking on the Lost theory. We'll see. I don't really think Paul is dead, I just like the folklore part of it, which is why I put this together for my students years ago. I posted my thoughts on the giving tree. Send me an email and tell me who you are. Cheers.

Anonymous said...

In a "Forrest Gump-ian" twist, it came out in the late 80's that William Campbell was in fact a agent for MI6, that apparently went rogue... It appears his likeness can be seen on the grassy knoll in Dallas (if the contrast of the shadows is manipulated just right it's obviously his profile!!!), then, it came out, Sirhan-Sirhan had a roommate years before named, Wilhelm Campfle (a German derivative?) Also, it's rumored that Woodward and Bernstein were often seen meeting an obscure government file clerk (GS7 rating...), named Bill Canfield. (Deep Throat? Hum.). And recently, at Sotheby's London, the original lyric sheet of "Sympathy for the devil" had corrections that reflected the original title, "Sympathy for W.C." Both Mick Jagger, and Keith Richards when asked to comment simply said it was some "bloke" they met at a pub in Queensgate, who had a strange complexion. Although, records indicate Dr. Timothy Leery also frequented the same pub during the same period... An anonymous bidder won that piece for over 100,00 euros. This of course should all be read in your own mind, while channeling "Cliff Clayvern" stating one of his little known facts-